In 2019 the Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) has launched Saber Electronic Platform, in cooperation with Thiqah company for Business Services with the aim of digitalizing the conformity activities provided by the authority and facilitating the procedures of registration and certification which finally leads to building a unified electronic system containing all data related to products, suppliers, and certification bodies.
SASO took further steps towards digitalization by linking Saber Electronic Platform to FASAH Electronic Platform in 2020 to provide comprehensive electronic services covering conformity and clearance activities.
Now, all Saudi Suppliers including importers and manufacturers are obligated to register their products on Saber so that the products can be subject to the conformity assessment process and issue the required certificates that prove conformity to the Saudi standards and meeting the requirements of the technical regulations.
Saber is a gate to a wide range of services including:
- Registering all products prepared for sale in the local market.
- Defining the HS Codes and product categories.
- Defining the regulatory requirements for each product.
- Applying for conformity certificates for products and shipments in the country of origin.
- Applying for self-declaration for the non regulated products.
- Finding the approved certification bodies classified according to region and scope.
What is the aim of Saber?
Saber was established to align with the Kingdom Vision 2030 adjectives to achieve many goals including:
- Facilitating and speeding up the conformity and clearance procedures through an electronic remote process.
- Creating a unified platform that links all the parties of the conformity process including SASO, Saber beneficiaries, and certification bodies.
- Building a reference that suppliers can get back to for identifying the market requirements and the status of their certificates.
- Allowing issuing the certificates in the country of origin to overcome contemporary obstacles such as Corona pandemic.
What are the documents required to register on Saber certificate
- The applicant’s ID number.
- The facility’s commercial register.
- The registration number and expiration date.
- Copy of the facility stamp.
- Copy of the signature of the employee entitled from the facility.
What are the certificates issued via Saber
Saber allows beneficiaries to issue many certificates for products intended for the Saudi market after registering their facilities and products and then identifying which certificates are required. Saber allows issuing the following certificates:
- The Product Certificate of Conformity (PCoC)
The Product Certificate of Conformity (PCoC) is required for all regulated products to be allowed to access the Saudi market. It is valid for three years and issued and renewed via Saber. The supplier willing to obtain the PCoC have to apply via Saber and choose one of the certification bodies to carry out the conformity assessment and issue the certificate.
- The Shipment Certificate of Conformity (SCoC)
The Shipment Certificate of Conformity (SCoC) is required for each shipment to be cleared at the Saudi customs ports. It can be issued only after obtaining the Product Certificate of Conformity for the products included in the shipment. The supplier can apply and get it via Saber Electronic platform.
- The Self-Declaration Certificate
The Self-Declaration is a document required for the non regulated products since these products don’t require issuing any conformity certificates so the supplier takes the responsibility of declaring that the product doesn’t break any legislation. The Self Declaration is mandatory to apply for the Shipment Certificate of Conformity for non regulated imported products.
How beneficiaries benefit from Saber
- Beneficiaries through Saber can remotely process all the conformity procedures which saves time and costs.
- Saber allows a database for products and certificates as well as allowing tracking and following up on the status of the certificate.
- Suppliers can get approved certification bodies on Saber so they can avoid frauds by non approved companies.